|Dr. Hughes's thirty-five years of ministry divides evenly into ten years as a youth pastor, five years as a church planter, and twenty years as senior pastor of College Church in Wheaton, IL. He is the author of more than twenty-five books, among which are Disciplines of a Godly Man and Liberating Ministry From the Success Syndrome. He is in the midst of a life-long project of completing the Preaching the Word commentary series of the entire New Testament, and is the editor of the Old Testament for the same series. College Church is noted for its world-wide missions outreach, because half of its total budget goes to world missions. The Hughes are the parents of four children and fourteen grandchildren.
- D.D. 1991, Biola University, La Miradad, CA
- D.Min. 1981, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, IL
- M.Div. 1972, Talbot Seminary, La Mirada, CA
- B.A. 1964, Whittier College, Whittier, CA
- 1979 to present: served as Senior Pastor of College Church in Wheaton, noted for its missions program. Presently, the missions budget is approximately 1.6 million annually.
- 1974-79 founded a new church in the Orange County area of Southern California, and served as an adjunct professor at Talbot Seminary, teaching Greek and homiletics.
- 1963-74 ministered on the staff of Granada Heights Friends Church, serving for seven years as High School Pastor and three years as Associate pastor and Minster to Collegians.
- 1960-61 served as Youth for Christ Club Director.
In addition to regular pastoral, administrative and preaching duties at College Church, Pastor Hughes ministers to several outside conferences each year. He is a Staley lecturer, and in addition speaks at spiritual emphasis weeks for many Christian colleges and universities. Pastor and Mrs. Hughes speak regularly at pastors' conferences.
Pastor Hughes has served on the Board of Americans United for Life (the legal arm of the pro-life movement), the Board of Trustees of World Radio Missionary Fellowship (HCJB), and the board of Operation Mobilization. Presently he is a member of the Board of Crossway Books.
Dr. Hughes is also a Former senior editor of Christianity Today.
- Behold the Lamb, (Exposition of John 1-10), Victor Books, 1984.
- Behold the Man, (Exposition of John 11-21), Victor Books, 1984.
- The Christian Wedding Planner, Muzzy/Hughes, Tyndale House, 1984.
- Blessed Are the Born Again, (The Beatitudes as a checklist for authentic Christianity), Victor Books, 1986.
- Abba Father: The Lord's Pattern for Prayer, Crossway Books, 1986.
- Living on the Cutting Edge: Joshua and the Challenge of Spiritual Leadership, Crossway Books, 1987.
- Liberating Ministry From the Success Syndrome, Tyndale House, 1988, co-authored with Mrs. Hughes
- Mastering the Pastoral Role, Paul Cedar, R. Kent Hughes, Ben Patterson, Multnomah, 1991.
- Disciplines of a Godly Man, Crossway Books, 1991.
- Disciplines of Grace, Crossway Books, 1993.
- The Gift, Crossway Books, 1994.
- Are Evangelicals Born Again?, Crossway Books, 1995.
- Common Sense Parenting, Tyndale House, 1995, co-authored with Mrs. Hughes.
- The Saviour, Crossway Books, 1995.
- 1001 Great Stories & "Quotes", Tyndale House, 1998
Preaching the Word Series, Crossway Books
- Colossians and Philemon, The Supremacy of Christ, 1989.
- Mark, Jesus Servant and Savior, Vol. 1, 1989.
- Mark, Jesus Servant and Savior, Vol. 2, 1989.
Note: The Mark volumes were presented the E.C.P.A. Gold Medallion Book Award for the best commentary of 1990.
- Ephesians, The Mystery of the Body of Christ, 1990.
- Romans, Righteousness from God, 1991.
- James, Faith that Works, 1991.
- Hebrews, An Anchor for the Soul, Vol. 1, 1993.
- Hebrews, An Anchor for the Soul, Vol. 2, 1993.
- Acts, The Church Afire, 1996.
- Luke, That You May Know the Truth, Vol. 1, 1998.
- Luke, That You May Know the Truth, Vol. 2, 1998.
- John, That You May Believe, 1999.
- 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus, Guard the Deposit, with Bryan Chapell, 2000
- The Sermon on the Mount, The Message of the Kingdom, 2001.